Sunday, December 20, 2009

Blind


This is an in-progress shot from 2007. I remember being most interested in the white foreground shape, and being frustrated by the rest of this painting. I ended up painting out all but the white shape and cutting the panel into a shape. I tossed it aside for a couple years, and then painted it into something else.

I just happened onto this image and am blown away by the simple egg shaped figure in landscape.

When one paints imagined figures within the illusion of a gravity-bound space, it so easily slips into a yucky type of surrealism, stylistically. Some of this results from a perceptual rut, where we tend to lump together to many different things, without distinguishing what's really there. I tend to reject some of my own tendencies, because I start identifying them a certain way, with certain types of work.

Long-winded way to say I wish I had this panel and I'd paint out the white shape and the yellow shape, and just leave the big egg.

5 comments:

Carla said...

I think I'd also add a curving fence around the right side. Maybe I should be painting today.

Nomi Lubin said...

Yeah, interesting what you say about the problems of painting imagined figures within an illusionistic mostly earth-bound space. Have thought about that a lot. But I think you pull it off amazingly. Your "surrealism" is NOT the yucky type!

gcs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gcs said...

funny. it is the white shape tending to the yellow shape, in spite of the egg shape, that drew me in.

Carla said...

Oh rats, back to cogitating.