Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Countdown to Spawn

I've beveled the edges and attached the permanent mounting frames on the back. HUGE relief, as I spent all of last year NOT dealing with those two things, just planning on figuring something out later. I was able to split 2" x 4"s at a 30 degree angle to make a french cleat for hanging. This from a 15+ year old $120 table saw, and it cut easily.
After I do a couple small client jobs, I will make back mounts for the small pieces, and then will still have a couple weeks to paint/finish how ever many of them I can. These were originally a secondary consideration to the larger pieces, but now I'd like to have a slew of them. I almost want to do an installation now, and jump the painted surface with 3-d augmentation for the show.
That almost always dilutes the tension and concentrated energy of the paintings though.

I also need to write a statement and also think of titles. I'm going to try to drop the numbers and letters and use actual, or pretend, words.

6 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

Have we talked about how these could resemble trophies?

M.A.H. said...

Or how many tole-painted picnic basket lids were killed during the filming of this?

That's a good thing. I like.

Carla said...

I like how the small ones slip into some sort of craft zone. Hadn't thought of trophies, but am now.

Nomi Lubin said...

French cleats, pretend words, craft zones. Exciting.

Carla said...

Never a dull moment.

Nomi Lubin said...

Well, the French cleat IS of interest to me because apparently, if I ever want my flatsies and poofsies hung, I will have to somehow fashion some. Or have some abler person do it.

(And the pretend words and craft zones and trophies ARE truly exciting to me.)