The day job is ruling my life right now, and for the next couple of months, so I'll just go ahead and post on it. Last week I squeezed in a couple of kid's room murals. This one was out of town and needed to be painted in one day, so I pre-painted a couple of details in my studio. This is on Pellon interfacing, which is well-sealed and then painted on. Cut your Walley out and adhere on-site. The technique is called marouflage and, while I've done it many times with canvas, this thin and non-textured material works really well.
It's a very simple mural, but some required double coating, etc. I had to book a bit, as I had to make my 6:00 pm birthday party in Shelbyville, which was on the way home.
I forgot to photograph the second mural, but it was a two-day jungle mural and I realized that it was the fourth time I had used some of the animals. Same pose. I had the interesting realisation that I was painting a rendering of my own rendering. I was no longer thinking of an original living creature as my source. I was remembering how to paint it, rather than thinking about how to do it. I could tell it was stylized in a weird way, and that it was anatomically off, but I couldn't really tell what was wrong or how to fix it because I was sourcing my memory of painting the imagery.
When I was a kid, I started with a real enthusiasm for the act of drawing. Once I knew I could draw well, I just kept repeating the same drawing. I drew horses. They became stylized in the same blinded way.