Saturday, January 23, 2010

Final Stretch

Bride Thing, 50" x 52"

I'm reviewing the large pieces for my April show at Harrison Gallery (Indianapolis). These have been tucked away as "finished" for some time now. I was a bit afraid to view them again; not sure what I have going on in that painting stack, and being so dependent on them for this show. I was afraid they would be lame now. But when I viewed them with the small pieces I'm doing, also for this show, something clicked. All my verbal thoughts about what I was doing, and all my conceptual organizing of the work fell away. I had such a strong gut physical reaction to the group. They have certainly always been about physicality, in the mark-making and in imagery, but I think they may work more directly than this. I felt very connected to what's going on with them.

I did dramatically alter the painting above. I tried to make small tweaks, but had to go with a pretty major overhaul. I did just tweak a second large one, and completely painted out a mid-sized one. I'm not going to touch any of the other large ones, just these, and I'll also cut some more small shaped panels. At this point I need to work faster, not for production in number, but so I don't dwell on minutiae.

4 comments:

Nomi Lubin said...

How strange and great. I don't knwo how you make these.

Lausanne said...

I can't wait to see these in real life! (And you! LOL!)

Nomi Lubin said...

You exist in real life?

Carla said...

Yes, but not in real time. It's very complicated.

These paintings will be in a show in Indianapolis in April, the Mounts will be in a show in Richmond,VA, also in April.